Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Told You So- Kid Hudson feat. Marcus

(image courtesy of 'Radarradion.com.au')
 
 

Reviewed By DJ Dave from Komodo Music


This song is a little different to what I tend to review as it is very mainstream pop (and regular follows know my opinion on THAT genre) but Kid Hudson, being a fellow Australian and someone just starting out on a solo career, I thought I would put aside my prejudice and give it ‘A Fair Go!’

The song’s lyrics are positive and upbeat and…What’s this?! A pop song that makes actually makes sense???!!! *Faints*. The beat is like any pop song: catchy and bubbly and will be stuck in your head if heard more than once on the radio. Kid has already received a fair bit of radio play so no doubt I will be requested this song at the next school ball I DJ for.

The guest rapper “Marcus” does his part and helps give the song some different tone (in a good way). I must admit though for a second I thought I was listening to “Travis MacCoy” from Gym Class Heroes as his rapping and voice felt very similar. That being said Marcus, I love his sound and he was very good in the role he played here.

Ok, my main gripe with this song is the same gripe I have with all modern pop songs…freakin AutoTune!! Kid Hudson has an amazing voice and I listened to some of his acoustic songs and was impressed by how talented he was, so to have AutoTune essentially rape his vocal cord almost made me want to cry. Now I am a realist, and understand to make a pop song for commercial play for today's “Teeny Bobbers” must have the dreaded AT in the track so I do not blame you Kid. I hate the game, not the player.

Overall this song is good for what it is but on a personal note I prefer his acoustic ‘un-plugged’ stuff. I am sure that this song will become popular and I wish Kid Hudson all the best in his career. I do feel that providing he avoids AutoTune like I avoid hard work, he will become an exceptional recording artist and will make Australia proud. Good luck mate :-)

DJ Rating- 3/5


Kid Hudson
kidhudson.com
twitter.com/kidhudson

No comments:

Post a Comment